Sunday, 8 November 2015

Self-portraits as historical records

Charcoal on paper, A1, November 2015


Inspired by Frank Auerbach's portraits, and feeling the need to practice more with charcoal, working big (how ridiculous that I've only discovered the wonderousness of charcoal at this late stage!), I made the above self-portrait this weekend.

Self-portraits are good exercise when you don't have another model around; and made periodically over the years, they provide a useful record of the progress of one's work and skills as well as a history of ageing / personal change. I'm rather ashamed of the drawings from 2009 - didn't think I drew that badly. I can't remember... maybe they were intended as rough sketches... Nasty. The regular life drawing is definitely helping my observation and drawing skills.
 

Graphite on paper, A3, May 2011 
Graphite on paper, A4, August 2009

Graphite on paper, A4, September 2009


No comments:

Post a Comment