Thursday, 6 March 2014

Influences part 1 - Paula Rego

Paul Rego ~ Three Blind MiceCopyright Victoria and Albert Museum  












Lately, I've been thinking about artists who influence my work. This is a tricky one. I found I could name many artists I like but had to think hard about whether they influence me in making my images. Do I like them because I see similarities between their work and mine, or are those similarities there because I have been influenced on a subconscious level? Probably a bit of both. 

Anyway, to get some clarity on this issue, I think I shall throw in more posts about artists I appreciate - because they probably do influence the way I work to some extent, even if I don't realise it. 

Top of the list has to be Paula Rego, painter and etcher extraordinaire. I'm not going to give you a bio because you can look that up for yourself if you're interested, but here are some images I like (hard to pick just a few!). Figurative, narrative, a darkness... these are things that immediately grab me. She's a story teller.

Celestina's House
Paula Rego ~ Celestina's House

Paula Rego ~ The Flood

Paula Rego's work
Paula Rego ~ 'Crivelli’s Garden (The Visitation)', 1990




























































































2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. www.facebook.com/paulafigueiroarego

    ReplyDelete