Wednesday, 22 May 2013

Studio revamp

The studio is undergoing something of a transformation at the moment. I’ve been using it for about four years now; it’s a lovely space and I feel very privileged to have it but as I slide further into middle age, I find I’m struggling with the lack of natural light in there. My eyesight seems to be deteriorating exponentially and etching plates are particularly difficult to work on in poor light.
 
So, having had a good clear out (the studio was stuffed full of chicken paraphernalia from over the winter and generally in a total mess), I removed some of the shelving and racks on the walls and am in the process of painting them white. I’m about a third of the way done so far – painting brick is a slow process – but already I’m noticing a difference.  The next job is to have the place completely rewired with more sockets and lighting added. After that, I shall investigate some sky lights which is what will really transform the place. So, watch this (creative) space.



1 comment:

  1. Have you tried daylight bulbs? I've got daylight tubes in my studio and its incredibly bright. Might make all the difference for you without going to the expense of the skylights.

    ReplyDelete