Saturday, 20 August 2011

Lucian Freud: The Painter's Etchings

‘Etching’s not drawing exactly, but it’s a sort of drawing.’
Lucian Freud

I’ve just realised that it’s three months since I last touched an etching plate – well, worked on one that is. Three months. THREE MONTHS! That’s a quarter of a year. Way too long. I’ve been drawing and painting a bit during that time, so not completely idle creativiely, but it’s definitely time to get back to my core business.

I’ve been thinking of making some etchings with just line work; working more quickly and energetically, straight on the plate without preliminary drawings. I think I became bogged down with the process of aquatinting and with working and working and working the plate… the last few images have taken three or four months each to complete. I need some quick-fix-instant-gratification etching – not that etching is ever quick-fix exactly.

As a prelude to this, never being one to rush into things, I’ve been looking at Lucian Freud’s etchings. Fantastic things; beautiful, skilful, intuitive, sensitive, atmospheric… most definitely inspiring. Here are some for your delight and edification. And if you want to investigate further, get Lucian Freud: The Painter’s Etchings. An excellent book.



3 comments:

  1. Nice images
    Do you know the name of the image use have use under the title? As I would love to know and I am going to use the image.
    I am doing Art and Design Level 3 at Leicester college England.
    Keep up the great work and I'll try to look around your blog more later on today.
    Hope you have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anna
    That image is called 'Pluto' and is an etching with watercolour wash. Size is 32.1 x 60 cm. Pluto was one of Freud's dogs.

    Good luck with your course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. please could you tell me the name of the one with the man in the glasses? many thanks x

    ReplyDelete