Sunday, 13 December 2009

An unusual project

I’ve been given a rather interesting project by a friend of mine. She’s a creative type herself; a garden designer primarily with massage and naturopathy thrown in. She recently had some fairly extensive remodelling done on her house and found a piece of the original wallpaper still attached to the wall. The house was built in 1928 so the paper is rather elderly. My mission is to turn it into a plate of some sort, collagraph I guess, and print from it. It’s quite heavily embossed so I’m hoping that with a few coats of varnish, I can stop it from flattening as it goes through the press. I shall try printing it both intaglio and relief to see what I get.

4 comments:

  1. It will be interesting to see the results of this experiment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea. I wonder if you gave the back side of the paper a few coats of gesso or modeling paste, if it would fill in the embossed areas from behind and keep the embossing on the front from flatening as it went through the press? I think it would provide some rigidity from the back and stiffen the "plate".

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete